Charlotte’s Litter was founded in honor of Charlotte Helen Bacon, a young avid dog lover, who tragically lost her life on December 14, 2012, in Sandy Hook, CT. We, her family and friends, received comfort and love bestowed upon us from our local comfort & therapy dogs. In honor of our Charlotte and the care that we received, Charlotte’s Litter was founded. At Charlotte’s Litter we advocate and seek to connect resources and experienced people, provide input and guidance to parents and educators, all in an effort to apply appropriate therapy dog programs in educational and societal settings.
“The goal of the event is to support the ongoing efforts of the Charlotte’s Litter program and the value of therapy and comfort dogs within communities. Groundbreaking results in animal assisted literacy and psychosocial support will be shared as well as K9 First Responder program updates,” said JoAnn Bacon.
At the event, attendees, including state and local representatives, will learn learn more about Charlotte’s Litter, such as:
- Book Publications- “Good Dogs, Great Listeners” and “The Dogs Of Newtown.”
- Animal assisted therapy – Ground breaking results on literacy and psychosocial support.
- K9 First Responders- Newtown Kindness and Pet Partners teams complete a significant training goal.
Here are the details of this year’s 1-mile walk-a-thon event:
- When: Saturday, October 18, 2014 from 10:30a – 2:30p
- Where: Sea Bluff Beach, West Haven, CT (at the Charlotte’s Playground Area)
- To register to participate go to our Eventbrite page. Space is limited, so don’t wait!
- After you register, help us spread the word and raise funds, please go to our Crowdrise page.
- This event is not open to personal pets.
- Therapy/Comfort dogs and their handlers need to register in advance on our Eventbrite page.
- Walkers registering should be individuals in the community who want to raise funds in support of Charlotte’s Litter, while honoring our volunteer dog teams by walking together. To register go to our Eventbrite page. Walkers are encouraged to raise funds by going to our CrowdRise page.